Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 15 February 2011

Cut & Thrust Game 3


Well Game 3! The last game of the event and I am on the top table playing a Foot marine list with Marneus Calgar leading it. The game was Annihilation and the deployment was quarters.

He had:
Calgar in Termie armour
Libby in Termie armour with SS
5 TH/SS termies

1 las dread
1 plascannon vennie dread
3 x 10 tac squads with various las and plas combo's.
10 assault marines with 3 plas pistols and sgt with a fist

So as you can imagine I am salivating at the prospect!

So he put me in the corner (no Patrick Swayze to save me this time). It was a terri-bad corner - a few bits of hill and 2 pieces of low level ruins.

He set up in his corner and the assault squad was right in on the line. Termies in the middle with some dreads around them.

I was stuck between schools of thought. Castle up and use my shooting (much better than his but he has no mech!) or try to get the charge with the TWC as soon as possible whilst trying to avoid Calgar and friends.

I opted for the first option - So I stuck a fang squad up on the line, in a bit of cover. Hopefully his assault squad would charge or try to charge them and then I can utilise the 12 inch TWC charge - then off to his squishy tac marines behind them!

So he killed a TWC model with Calgar's template (damn) his shooting killed 1 rhino and immobilised another one. Oh and the Razorback got stunned.  Everything went his way in that first turn. He got the charge with his Assault marines - turns out that the shortest distance is 16.4 inches not 18. Either way he needed a 6 to get into the cover and got it. Then he killed ALL my fangs... Could not believe it. He then consolidated 3 inches  away to get away from the TWC.

My turn - I managed to kill nothing at all. I think I stunned both dreadies. The priest didnt get his powers off and the twc rolled a 1 for a run! leaving them 9 inches away from his assault marines! I roll to charge. I roll double 4. Im in the open and so are his assault marines. SHIT!

He then multi charges both my other fang squads! passing all his DT tests. they both get wiped. He kills a few more GH's and leaves me with a big problem. The only thing in range of the TWC is the death star. The GH can sort out the assault squad (who killed all 3 fang squads for the loss of 2 assault marines!) Time to man up and charge them - At this point I figured that I had fluffed it yet again. His dice were golden - mine were poor when it mattered.

The big fight in the centre lasted for 4 turns with the libby and calgar leaving it victorious on 1 wound each. Everything else got shot and killed. scouts turned up on turn 5 and failed to charge the tac squad at the back (3 3's for terrain charge!) they then got killed by - (sigh) rapid firing marines...

The game went to turn 7 and he ended up tabling me! The indignity.

Would I have done it differently? Probably not. The TWC if they had the charge would have been awesome. They would have basically eaten a squad a turn for 4 turns if they hadn't rolled that 1 for the run. Never mind. The dice were hot on his side and not so hot for me. I gambled and it didn't pay off.

Well that's the end of the bat - reps.

More incoherent bollocks on the way :-D

MJ

No comments:

Post a Comment